Friday, June 13, 2008

Looking at Retirement



Cedar Wood’s Fran Hartman was described by Principal David Jones as a “core educator who has worked for five different superintendents “and been an inspiration to every one of them.” Her science students have the top WASL scores in the state because of her creativity, flexibility, energy, innovation and student-centered attitude. She teaches children not only how to answer questions but to explain where those answers came from and is “absolutely brilliant” in the way she pulls in resources.

Fran thanked many in the audience for inspiring her. “Carol, YOU were the principal who opened the door to my teaching imagination by telling me that students needed a ‘hook’ for learning. That simple suggestion of adding music to my punctuation lessons was the beginning for me. Jim McNally, it was you who supported my work with NASA, and I know you went home worried some days. Dr. Jones, little did I know that you would challenge, support, encourage and help me to keep learning alive, even more so in this last year. Thank you.”

No comments: